Friday, June 3, 2022

Sit to Rise

So yesterday I NEW concern hit my awareness. I ran into this video about the sit-to-stand test that is supposedly a good indicator of future longevity. You're supposed to go from a standing position to sitting without the use of your hands or anything else. And then from sitting cross-legged, to stand up again without the use of your hands. I thought at first it was not. big deal at all. I mean I think I'm fit right? Except that I got down all wobbly.  And then I couldn't do it. I couldn't get up from there. Damn, did I lose mobility, muscle mass, or both that quickly? I mean the result didn't lie. And so now I have to work on my MOBILITY seeing as I may have lost some of it. I mean I can accept that one loses mobility with age, but I do not accept that I've lost that much mobility. Maybe I simply haven't been paying attention to my lower body. I mean simply trying to do this produced some pain in my lower back! And I was seemingly getting out of breath trying. This I cannot accept. And I do not intend to. I'm going to start doing more flexibility and yoga-ish exercises. So yet another event that is forcing me to reckon with "aging".  And I remind myself that aging in itself is largely a mental state too. And I do not intend to give in to that one.  Because I also realize that the human body is far more capable than we give it credit for. Just gotta take care of it. I guess I haven't done a good job of that huh? First diet now this. Just gotta pay more attention is all. All will turn out just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment