Sunday, February 13, 2022

A Glorious Super Bowl Sunday

And so today is Super Bowl Sunday and usually I only have casual interest at best, and definitely more interested in hanging out with people to watch the game. Until the Rams are involved. 3 years ago they made it to the big game playing those New England Patriots. I must say I was nervous as heck and although the Rams played, they were the new kids on the block and got outclassed by the GOAT Tom Brady. Well guess what... they made it to the big game again and this time it is THEY who are favored. It is their opponent the Bengals who are the young upstarts. AND the game is on the Rams home turf. Our very own Sofi Stadium. But before the game starts at 3 PM today, there is still plenty of time for golf. And Scott and I are at Penmar this morning. We were paired up with an older couple and a young guy who claimed he was new to the game. I played so atrociously the last time I played here. It was the morning after that big fire above my unit and so I probably was tired. That fire turned out to be a huge inconvenience, what with me having to vacate my unit for a week. I still have to think about what I was focusing on to make that event or circumstance get pushed out somehow. But not today. I did feel like I regained my mojo at Roosevelt last week. And so when I hit my first tee shot pretty long but it ended in the sand trap on the right I knew I was already off and I needed to make an adjustment. I NEVER hit it to the right. It means I am missing the ball. Needless to say, I didn't get my usual par on the first hole. In fact, I hit a 7. And I hit another 7 on the next hole after I deposited my first shot to the right again. At least I hit a 4 bogey on the short Hole 3 even though I hit my tee shot way short on the fairway. Finally on Hole 5 which is not an easy hole, I hit my tee shot straight and right on the green. On in 1! Too bad I lost my focus yet again and took 4 putts to make it in. How did I blow that par?? I finally did get my tee shot mojo back though because I blasted them from this point forward. I hit a 6 on Hole 7, a 4 on Hole 8 and made a long putt to finish with a 6 on Hole 9. No I did not score that well. But I at least hit enough good shots to feel better about my play today as compared to my play 2 weeks ago. AND it was a warm day out to boot. For lunch I decided to get the special at Ralphs which I usually do on a Wednesday. I had a ribeye. I did it only so I could get my grocery shopping finished, including whatever food I was going to eat for the Super Bowl game involving the Rams that I would be too nervous to watch. Yes I know how ridiculous that sounds.
As it was I immersed myself in work while the game started. After all, I had HRSA reports to do, timecards to approve, and it's Tech Council Meeting week next week. Yes I had to distract myself from the temptation of looking up how the Rams were doing. I did get a little snippet that the Rams were leading at halftime. Ok. That's good. But I accidentally went to a website that showed that the Rams were behind by a score early in the 3rd quarter. Uh-oh. I guess they aren't blowing out the Bengals huh? I will admit it got me nervous. But then again I remembered that I already put it out there that I wanted to experience the outcome of a RAMS superbowl win. So much so I "sacrificed" the Lakers game against Golden State last night. And the UCLA basketball game against USC. Both losses for the teams I rooted for. Finally I made myself a homemade pizza for dinner and waited. And waited. And waited. By 7 PM I figured the game would be done. And it turned out the Rams were behind by 4 but were driving to score in the Cincinnati redzone. There were 2:30 minutes to go. I dare not put the game on. Finally I heard some screaming in the units outside. I figured out that they were watching the game. I figured out that they were RAMS fans. I finally had to look on ESPN. The RAMS had taken the lead! But the Bengals had one more shot. Until all-world DTackle Aaron Donald snuffed it out with a sack. And there it was: the RAMS had won. They are the Super Bowl CHAMPS! YES! YES! YES! No more work now. NOW I have to watch all the replays of the highlights and the plays that I missed all night. Turned out that it was a heck of a game!

No comments:

Post a Comment